The Sunflower room offers many experiences for the children to gain independence. They have free flow access to all the areas of provision
- Sand and Water
- Painting and Workshop
- Construction and Small world
- Mark Making
- Book Corner
This ensures the children never get bored as they can choose what they want to do and where they want to play.
The pre-school children have access to a computer suite, allowing them opportunity to develop mouse and keyboard skills, they are able to use child friendly websites such as Cbeebies and Nick Jnr where they can play educational games and learn in a fun way.
Independence is highly promoted throughout the Sunflower room as well as being able to access the area of provision they choose the children also
- Serve their own dinner and clear away their plates
- Pour their own drinks
- Choose their own snack, cut their own fruit and butter their own toast
- Attend to their own toileting needs gaining adult support when needed
- Brush their own teeth after meals
- Tidy up the toys they have been playing with
- Put on their own shoes and coat
One of Gruntys Day Care’s aim’s within the sunflower room is to ensure that the children are confident learners to help with their transition to primary school.
- The children are supported to begin to form recognisable letters to begin to write their name.
- During circle times the children take part in group activities that support them with early stage phonics.
- Early mathematics is promoted throughout all the areas, numbers are displayed to help with number recognition; the children are encouraged to count as they play and carry out simple calculations
- The children begin to read and spell out simple 3 letter words.
The children have weekly access to our soft play area this includes, slides, swinging ropes, climbing frames and ball ponds helping to develop the children’s physical and social skills. They also take part in a weekly acting and football class.
Our ratio of staff to children in Sunflower Room is 1:8